Friday, September 14 – Creamy Pumpkin Curry
1 small sugar pumpkin
2 pounds of shrimp or other seafood/protein of your choice
2 carrots, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 small zucchinis, diced
1 14oz can coconut milk – (make sure you have your coconut milk in the fridge a day ahead of time so that the coconut cream is solid on the top)
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon coriander
½ tablespoon turmeric powder
sea salt to taste
1) Preheat oven to 350. Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds (save them for roasting). Place the pumpkin cut side up in a glass baking dish with about a cup of water in the bottom of the dish and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
2) In a large soup pot, saute the onion and carrots in the coconut oil over medium heat until the onions become translucent.
3) Turn up the heat on the onions and carrots to medium high, scoop out just the cream from the canned coconut milk and add to the hot soup pot. Let it sizzle and stir until the cream is melted and mixed well with the onions and carrots. Turn down to medium low and let it simmer.
4) While the coconut cream, onion and carrots are simmering, scoop the roasted pumpkin into a food processor or blender along with the remaining coconut water from the can, the chicken broth, and all of the spices. Process or blend until completely smooth.
5) Add the zucchini to the soup pot and pour the pumpkin mixture into the pot as well. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
6) Add the peeled and de-veined shrimp to the soup and cook until the shrimp are pink and firm (about 3-4 more minutes).